Williston Auditorium

Exhibit on view: Ongoing
Photo: Artifact case in Williston Auditorium

“We learn not for school, but for life.”

Education in Wilmington has a long, rich tradition, and the name “Williston” has been associated with schooling here since the 1860s. What began as an American Missionary Association school became — between 1923 and the day it closed its doors in 1968 — the only high school for African Americans in New Hanover County.

The memory of Williston lives on through the work of a very active alumni association. Through the Williston Alumni Association’s generosity, the Museum’s auditorium is named to honor the school that so successfully served the African American community.

814 Market Street • Wilmington, NC 28401 • Phone 910-798-4370 • Fax 910-798-4382