|Whiz Kids: Activities for the young and young at heart!
Red, White, and Blue Holiday Cards
Holiday cards are a meaningful way for Americans to show support for our military. It only takes a few minutes of your day, but will bring lasting joy to our troops who may be away from their families during the holidays. Blue Star Families sends packages and letters to deployed U.S. Service Members to lift morale, bring a smile to a service member’s face, and express appreciation and support for our Armed Forces.
Make and send a holiday card for a service member.
1. Fold and cut the construction paper to fit in your envelope.
2. Share a little about yourself—family, hobbies, work, pets.
3. Talk about life back at home—sports, weather, music, movies.
4. Avoid politics completely and religion in excess; however, saying you pray for them is okay.
5. Adults: Include you contact information (mail or email) if you would like a reply.
6. Children: FIRST NAMES ONLY with parent mail/email.
7. Decorate your card by drawing a picture on it.
8. Put the card in the envelope and place the stamp on it, but DO NOT SEAL the envelope.
9. On the back of the envelope, write the numeral 5 so our volunteers will know the mail is for an active-duty service member.
Mail your card to the Blue Star Families warehouse:
C/O Dennis Newman
Blue Star Families, Operation Appreciation
13850 McLearn Road
Herndon, VA 20171
Blue Star Families will deliver your card!For more information about Blue Star Families, visit their website here.
Check out the Learning Center at Cape Fear Museum of History and Science every Saturday in August from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. for many more “V-Mail to Vlogs” explorations! Also visit the Mail Call exhibition until January 9, 2014.
Past Whiz Kids Activities
Ring and Pin Play!
Scramble An Egg Before You Crack the Shell
Make Your Own Pirate Flag
Build a Pinhole Camera
What is an Insect?
How Big is a Dinosaur?