Military Discharges

Discharge1    Discharge3Discharge2

Military Discharges may be recorded in the Register of Deeds Office at no charge.  Effective January 1, 2004, due to changes to North Carolina G.S.47-113.2., Military discharges have restricted public access in accordance with the North Carolina Statute, the following parties are authorized to record or obtain copies of military discharge documents:

     1.  The person of the document or the person's widow or widower.

     2.  Agents and representatives of the person authorized in writing: 


    • By the person or person's widow or widower in a notarized authorization, 
    • By a court to represent person, or 
    • By the person's executor acting on behalf of a deceased person.


     3.  Authorized agents of the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, the United States

          Department of Veterans Affairs, the Department of Defense, or a court official with an interest in

          assisting the person or the deceased person's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit. 


     4.  Agents or representatives of the North Carolina State Archives.


The above parties must come in person and  present a government issued picture identification in order to gain access.  For other questions concerning veterans or their families call Veteran Services at (910) 798-7611 or go to the Veteran Services website.