Legal & Risk Management
The county attorney is appointed by the Board of Commissioners and serves at the pleasure of the board. The county attorney oversees both the Legal and Risk Management divisions for the county.
County departments, boards, and commissions receive legal guidance and support from the County Attorney's Office. The tasks performed may involve advice regarding legislation, including drafting of legislation for enactment; drafting or reviewing all county contracts; representing the county, its officers, officials, and employees in civil litigation; studying, drafting, or amending ordinances, resolutions, procedures, and regulations; revising and updating the New County Code of Ordinances; initiating lawsuits to ensure compliance with all county ordinances and regulations; assisting citizens by providing guidance regarding county procedures; assisting contractors with the pre-qualification and re-qualification process to become eligible to bid on New Hanover County projects; and researching and filing bankruptcy claims on behalf of county departments for outstanding balances owed to the county.
- What department is to be contacted when trying to retrieve information on real estate matters, marriage licenses, birth certificates and/or death certificates for New Hanover County?
- What department is to be contacted concerning an issue such as criminal cases or speeding tickets?
- When is a contract for a project for the County completed?
- What office should be contacted for questions concerning the procedures and/status on estates and wills?
- Where would a person be able to inquire about the procedures to file documents in connection with lawsuits as well as locate and check on the status of various lawsuits?
- Who do I contact for a cable television complaint?
- What are the Risk Management Department's phone and fax numbers?
- What is the Risk Management Department's mailing address?
230 Government Center Drive, Suite 125-A
Wilmington, NC 28403
- Can Risk Management provide advice about insuring my commercial business?
No. Please contact your insurance agent or call the North Carolina Insurance Commissioner’s office at 1-800-546-5664.
- Can the Risk Management Department answer questions about my homeowners, auto, life, or health insurance?
No. Please contact your insurance agent or call the North Carolina Insurance Commissioner's office at 800-546-5664.
- Can I get definitions for Insurance and Risk Management terms?
Yes. Please refer to this glossary.