- Fiscal Year Budgets
- Fiscal Year 2020-2021
Fiscal Year 2020-2021
New Hanover County’s Fiscal Year 2020-2021 budget was adopted by the Board of Commissioners on Monday, June 1 following public hearings. The adopted budget documents can be viewed below:
- Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Adopted Budget
- Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Adopted Budget in Brief
- Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Mandated Services Table
Below are highlights in the FY20-21 Adopted Budget:
- Provides a total of $112.2 million to New Hanover County Schools, including $2,907 per pupil, $1.6 million in capital, and $487,422 for pre-kindergarten expansion, demonstrating the county’s continued commitment to improving the quality of public education in New Hanover County.
- Establishes a three-year pilot program for a Social Impact Fund, that will provide funding to identified community nonprofits, focused on demonstrated outcomes they achieve toward advancing the county’s strategy focused on kindergarten readiness, raising average wages in the county, and reducing overall substance use.
- Funds more than $618,000 in strategic economic development initiatives that will encourage private investment, bring more diverse and higher-wage jobs, and enhance the quality of life.
- Supports $931,106 in funding for human services partners through the Non-County Agency funding application process. Additionally, $375,000 has been committed over the next five years to support the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina’s new facility in the county.
- Maintains the fire services tax rate for residents in the unincorporated county at 7.75 cents and also keeps the landfill tip fee at $48 per ton.
- Capital improvement projects including the construction of a sidewalk extension on Market Street and a multi-purpose connection trail path along Middle Sound Loop Road; and Environmental Management capital projects like the final phase of the landfill gas-to-energy system.
- Sustained emphasis on 1,839 county employees, providing job security, benefits, and market increases to salaries.
The FY20-21 balanced budget is $399.6 million, with the following fund amounts:
- General Fund is $350.8 million, an increase of 0.25 percent from FY19-20 Adopted Budget; included in the General Fund is debt service at $62.4 million, an increase of 3.5 percent from FY19-20 Adopted Budget.
- Fire Services District Fund is $16.7 million, an increase of 3.8 percent from FY19-20 Adopted Budget.
- Environmental Management Enterprise Fund is $24.3 million, an increase of 5.3 percent from FY19-20 Adopted Budget.
New Hanover County’s Fiscal Year 20-21 recommended budget was presented to the Board of Commissioners on Monday, May 18. Recommended budget documents can be viewed below: