How to Get Help with Medicare
Call The SHIIP appointment line at the Senior Resource Center to set up an appointment with a local SHIIP counselor, (910) 798-6442. If you have general Medicare questions, please call (910) 798-6436.
If you are new to Medicare or already have experience with Medicare, it’s important for you to:
- Understand your Medicare coverage options: There are 2 main ways to get your Medicare coverage – Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) and Medicare Advantage.
- Get Help Choosing the coverage option that’s right for you: Get free personalized counseling from your State Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP).
- Get the most value out of your health care: We want to make sure you have the information you need to make the best decisions about your health care.
Get Free Help Paying Your Health Care & Drug Costs
If you have limited income and resources, you may qualify for help to pay for some health care and drug coverage costs.
Medicare’s Website has a drug plan finder tool that helps beneficiaries sort all the drug plans to select the best option available and helps individuals enroll.
You can obtain this same information by calling Medicare at 1(800) 633-4227, or by contacting the North Carolina (NC) Senior Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP) at 1(855) 408-1212.
Senior Resource Center
If you need assistance, the Senior Resource Center will work with you to evaluate your medication needs and help you get your medicines at the lowest possible cost. For more information please call (910) 798-6422.
The Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program is a division of the North Carolina Department of Insurance that strives to assist Medicare beneficiaries in making well-informed health insurance choices, offering free unbiased health information.
- COBRA Employee Benefits Security Administration (provides information regarding continuation of employer group health plans)
- Federal Marketplace for Non-Medicare health insurance
- Medicare Basics Flyer (PDF)
- Medicare (Provides information 24 hours a day/7 days a week about eligibility, enrollment, and coverage)
- NC Department of Insurance
- NC Retired Governmental Employees’ Association (provides information for federal, state, or local government retirees)
- NC SHIIP Website
- New to Medicare Video
- Protecting Yourself From Medicaid Fraud (PDF)
- Railroad Medicare Part B (Processes claims and answers questions regarding Railroad Medicare benefits)