Using interactive exhibits, visitors can
- Test their knowledge of which plant species are native to the region and which have been introduced from other countries.
- Learn about the various types of waterways in the Lower Cape Fear and which watercraft best suit each one. Additionally, visitors can make connections with watercraft artifacts on display.
- Operate a digger to “dredge” a channel.
- Read and record the weather on the site using weather instruments and manual dials.
- Experience a “ghost forest” through photographs and cypress trees, explaining the effects of increased salinity in the Cape Fear River.
- Learn in our “outdoor classroom,” a grassy, quiet spot south of the Maritime Pavilion.