Henry Bacon’s Pantograph, About 1840 to 1850
This wooden pantograph is made up of four rectangular rods that when opened form a movable parallelogram.
Henry Bacon’s Rule, About 1840 to 1850
Henry Bacon supervised the building of an apron dam (known locally as the Rocks) at New Inlet in the 1870s and 1880s. New Inlet, which formed in the 18th century, caused the mouth of the river to silt up, decreasing the navigable channel, and restricting traffic size.
Ideal Cement Plant Office, December, 1963
In 1992, Randy Walser donated a collection of Ideal Cement Company ephemera to the Museum.
Launching the S.S. Charles C. Pinckney, May 10, 1942
The S.S. Charles C. Pinckney, named after a prominent South Carolinian from the Revolutionary era, was the 10th Liberty ship to be launched in Wilmington.
Navassa Guano Company Charter, August 5, 1869
This charter established the Navassa Guano Company of Wilmington, North Carolina for the purposes of manufacturing fertilizer and chemicals, mining and working the necessary ores, and such other activities necessary to the manufacture and sale of fertilizers and chemicals.
Piedmont Airlines Flight Crew Deplaning, About 1985
In 2008, staff in the New Hanover County Manager’s office cleaned up their files.
Slag Ladle, About 1840 to 1900
This ladle was used for working with slag or hot metal.
Totem Pole, December, 1953
This hand-carved wood Canadian First Nations totem pole is signed by the artist Ellen Neel and dated 1953.
Turpentined Tree, 1800s
This six-foot-tall tree stump has been tapped for turpentine, using the boxing method. It is worked on three sides.