When we have the opportunity to tell a visitor or Wilmington resident one thing about us, it would be that Cape Fear Museum is YOUR museum. As a department of New Hanover County, our goal is to educate and serve our community. We are committed to enriching the lives of the entire community and devoted to extending our programming beyond the museum walls. We are able to provide active and hands-on learning experiences through outreach at festivals, parks, classrooms, libraries, community centers and more.
Our Vision: Welcoming. Engaging. Meaningful.
- Provide a welcome, accessible and inviting experience whether at the museum or beyond our doors.
- Engage our audience with programming and exhibits both at the museum and through outreach.
- Be impactful to our visitors and add meaning to the understanding of their community and history.
Community partnerships enable us to reach and serve more constituents. From corporate partners like GE, PNC and Piedmont Natural Gas to non-profits such as the New Hanover County Libraries, local parks and the YWCA, the museum continues to build a community coalition to provide more opportunities to our citizens.
Some of our recent outreach efforts include:
- International Observe the Moon Night materials kits so children could become Junior Ranger Night Explorers at home. Kits included an activity booklet, red-lens flashlight, Oreo moon activity, compass and more to follow along at home on Facebook Live with Museum educators.
- Creation of at-home activity bags for the YWCA’s Grandparent’s Support Network. Activity bags included take home science kits, books and more.
- Activity kits for NourishNC’s monthly food box distribution program. Kits included science activities such as solar beads and insta-snow.