When we have the opportunity to tell a visitor or Wilmington resident one thing about us, it would be that Cape Fear Museum is YOUR museum. As a department of New Hanover County, our goal is to educate and serve our community. We are committed to enriching the lives of the entire community and devoted to extending our programming beyond the museum walls. We are able to provide active and hands-on learning experiences through outreach at festivals, parks, classrooms, libraries, community centers and more.
Our Vision: Welcoming. Engaging. Meaningful.
- Provide a welcome, accessible and inviting experience whether at the museum or beyond our doors.
- Engage our audience with programming and exhibits both at the museum and through outreach.
- Be impactful to our visitors and add meaning to the understanding of their community and history.
Community partnerships enable us to reach and serve more constituents. From corporate partners like GE, PNC and Piedmont Natural Gas to non-profits such as the New Hanover County Libraries, local parks and the YWCA, the museum continues to build a community coalition to provide more opportunities to our citizens.
Some of our recent outreach efforts include:
- Museum Educators attended the annual North Carolina Azalea Festival and set up interactive activities at the Street Fair Children’s Area. We interacted with several thousand people over the course of the two-day festival weekend event.
- Star Party was held at Carolina Beach State Park on Friday, April 12 and this year’s theme was The Moon and Beyond. This annual must-see community event drew over 600 attendees to stargaze and get up close views of the Moon, planets and more using binoculars and a variety of telescopes. Other activities included indoor stargazing and hands-on activity stations to learn about the moon.
- Little Explorers Out & About is a weekly Pre-K program that rotates between the MLK Center and BRC-Hemenway Center. Children enjoy interactive circle time, conduct experiments and play games related to a weekly theme.