When we have the opportunity to tell a visitor or Wilmington resident one thing about us, it would be that Cape Fear Museum is YOUR museum. As a department of New Hanover County, our goal is to educate and serve our community. We are committed to enriching the lives of the entire community and devoted to extending our programming beyond the museum walls. We are able to provide active and hands-on learning experiences through outreach at festivals, parks, classrooms, libraries, community centers and more.
Our Vision: Welcoming. Engaging. Meaningful.
- Provide a welcome, accessible and inviting experience whether at the museum or beyond our doors.
- Engage our audience with programming and exhibits both at the museum and through outreach.
- Be impactful to our visitors and add meaning to the understanding of their community and history.
Community partnerships enable us to reach and serve more constituents. From corporate partners like GE, PNC and Piedmont Natural Gas to non-profits such as the New Hanover County Libraries, local parks and the YWCA, the museum continues to build a community coalition to provide more opportunities to our citizens.
Some of our recent outreach efforts include:
- Friday enrichment program at DC Virgo that includes hands-on activities, science and more. These young students are experimenting with magnetism!
- Nino Wrestles the World book drop-off at Nourish NC as part of the National Endowment of the Arts Big Read initiative led by UNCW’s Office of the Arts.
- Virtual field trip via Zoom led by educators for school groups unable to visit the Museum.