In March of 1898, the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC) first opened the Museum in one room on the second floor of the Wilmington Light Infantry’s (WLI) building. Since its founding, the Museum has moved around the city. It was housed in two rooms in the County courthouse annex in the late 1920s, and then on the third floor of the Police Station building in the 1960s. Since 1970, it has been located at 814 Market Street, in what was a National Guard Armory building. In the late 1980s, local residents supported a bond issue for Museum improvements. In 1992, the Museum opened with new exhibits in a renovated and expanded space.
The Museum has also been run by four different organizations over the course of its history. After the UDC steered the Museum through its first two decades, they lost their room at the WLI during World War I. The Museum’s artifact collection went to Raleigh at that time. After the war, it took a decade for Wilmington – through the work of the New Hanover County Historical Commission and the UDC – to reclaim the items. When the collection returned and the Museum reopened, a different women’s organization, North Carolina Sorosis, took over operations. They ran the Museum from 1930 until the early 1960s. Then, the City of Wilmington and New Hanover County jointly administered the Museum until the county took sole administrative control in 1977.
Just as the building and management has changed over time, so too has the scope of the Museum’s collection and its mission. Originally, the institution was founded to preserve Confederate objects and Confederate memories of the Civil War. After the reopening in the 1930s, many new objects were collected, broadening the Museum’s holdings to include a wider range of historical items. Over the decades, the collection grew to represent regional, national, and international art, history, and science artifacts. In the late 1970s, Cape Fear Museum’s mission re-focused on the region’s history, science and cultures. Today, the Museum draws on a collection of more than 56,000 items to help us explore a wide range of topics and to tell balanced and inclusive local stories.
Cape Fear Museum is a department of New Hanover County.
Cape Fear Museum collects, preserves and interprets objects relating to the history, science, and cultures of the Lower Cape Fear. The Museum makes those objects and their interpretation available to the public through educational exhibitions and programs.
Cape Fear Museum is a department of New Hanover County. Employment opportunities and information can be found on the New Hanover County Human Resources website here.
CFM Advisory Board
The CFM Advisory Board meets in the Williston Auditorium every other month on the third Wednesday at 4 PM. The 2019-2020 meetings are on the following dates: July 17, September 18, November 13, January 15, March 18 and May 20.
Cape Fear Museum’s Advisory Board is comprised of distinguished individuals from the local community. Front Row: Florence Warren, Darin Penneys, Kevin Maurer. Center Row: David Ball, Dennis Dixon, Elizabeth Ferrell. Back Row: Rob Cameron (retired), Mike Maurer (retired), Donna Pope. Board members not pictured: Sandra Alice Ray, Gwen Brown, Stewart Moon, Michelle Kistner, Dan Goodwin.
Contact the people or departments listed below via e-mail or by calling (910) 798-4370. For program reservations, please call 910-798-4362.