Friday, April 24, 2020
Location: Carolina Beach State Park, 1010 State Park Road
Join Cape Fear Museum, Carolina Beach State Park, Cape Fear Astronomical Society and many other community partners for a fun-filled evening of stargazing and astronomy-themed activities!
Seeing the Universe is this year’s Star Party theme. Be part of an event that is happening statewide and bring a flashlight. At this FREE event, visitors can:
- Go on a guided night sky tour of the stars and planets.
- Get up close views of the Moon, stars, planets and more using binoculars and a variety of telescopes.
- Enjoy indoor stargazing for a fun orientation to the night skies.
- Cuddle up with loved ones and listen to star-themed stories at the Stellar Story Corner.
- Visit fun, hands-on activity stations to learn about the universe.
- Learn stargazing tips from the experts.
- Pose for pictures with our giant inflatable glowing moon.
- Encounter Cape Fear Museum’s brand new Science Cycle, a program that will roll out science around town.
- Enter raffles to win prizes and passes to local attractions.
- And so much more!
Star Party community partners include:
- Cape Fear Museum of History and Science
- Cape Fear Museum Associates
- Carolina Beach State Park
- Friends of Pleasure Island State Parks
- Cape Fear Astronomical Society
- Brunswick County Early College High School Astronomy Club
- Children’s Museum of Wilmington
- New Hanover County Schools
- New Hanover County Library
- New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office VIPR and Explorer Groups
- UNC-Wilmington Centro Hispano Embajadores
- UNC-Wilmington Women in Science and Engineering
- UNC-Wilmington Department of Environmental Sciences
- UNC-Wilmington Center for Education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- UNC-Wilmington Department of Physics and Physical Oceanography
- UNC-Wilmington Chemistry Club
- UNC-Wilmington Watson Student Leaders
- National Weather Service—Wilmington Office
- Town of Carolina Beach
- Wilmington Trolley Company
- Sun Fun Rental
The eigth annual Statewide Star Party is made possible with the support of NC Space Grant and the NC Science Festival. Participating organizations and institutions across the state will be hosting sky-watching parties to help people discover the wonders of their night skies.
This event, Star Party, is supported by NASA’s Universe of Learning, in partnership with Smithsonian Affiliations.
Event parking is at the marina, located at the back of the park. Complimentary shuttle service is generously provided by the Wilmington Trolley Company. Handicap transportation via golf cart is available upon request.
Click here for a larger, printable version of the map.